Supt: Junita (Nita) Simonton, P.E.
Manager: Robert Trafecanty, Jr.
Procedures for Utility Permit
(Request & Petition form)
Request and Petition forms are available for all utilities at the Road and Bridge Department office. If a utility company is seen doing construction along a road or crossing they should have a permit. Township officers can request they get a permit.
A company official contacts the Road and Bridge Department. A Request and Petition form is mailed out to the party. Requirements are stated on the first page of the permit. The second page shows a profile of how the county will approve location and depth of the utility. This page also has a drawing of a mile section of road where the requesting party diagrams the line location. This page must be copied for each mile or part of a mile section of line. Attached to the back of the permit should be a complete sketch of the project. After completing the permit the requesting party returns the permit to the Road and Bridge Department.
The Engineering Division will review:
The permit is for construction along or across a County Road:
- The permit will be signed and returned if approved as sent in.
- The requesting party will be contacted if there are any questions that need addressing before the permit can be approved.
The permit is for construction along or across a Township Road:
- The permit will be sent to the Trustee for the Township's concurrence.
- The requesting party will be notified the permit has been passed along so no action can be taken until the township has been given their ten (10) days to review the permit. If the Township does not respond within the allotted time a copy of the permit will be returned to the Requesting Party for construction.
Click here for a printable Request a Petition Form
Click here for a Profile of Proposed Cable Crossing Roadway Example
Procedure for New Entrance
(County or Township Road)
A driveway request is given out by the Planning and Zoning Department each time a building permit is applied for. Property owners requesting additional driveways into property can obtain permits from the Road and Bridge Department. The permits are completed and sent to the Road and Bridge Department.
The Engineering Division receives the permit and goes out to the site for a site evaluation. The culvert is sized according to the runoff the ditch is supposed to carry. Once this has been determined the permit will either:
- Be returned to the requesting party with the required culvert size if the driveway is on a County road. The requesting party is required to obtain the required culvert and notify the Road and Bridge Department. The County does not furnish culverts. Once notification has been received the County will install the culverts within 90 days or the property owner can notify the Road and Bridge Department they intend to install the culverts themselves. If this is the case the Road and Bridge Department requests 48 hours notice and will go out to inspect the installation to make sure it complies with the sketch included on the permit.
- Be forwarded to the Trustee of the Township with the required culvert size if the driveway is on a Township road. If the Township concurs they will return it to the Road and Bridge Department. The permit will then be sent back to the Requesting Party. The Requesting Party is notified to contact the Township Trustee to determine who will supply and who will place the culverts and to what specifications.
Click here for a printable Request For New Entrance Onto County or Township Road Form